The Western District held its Mid-Year Board Meeting on January 29th. We welcomed a new roster of Section Representatives who shared some of the creative ways each Section has adapted to the virtual environment. Our current Section Representatives are:
- Alaska – Jared Travis
- Bay Area – Smadar Boardman
- Central California – Bryan Igarta
- Central Coast – Kathryn Kleinschmidt
- Hawaii – Jennylyn Tapat
- NorCal – Jana Cervantes
- Oregon – Julie Kentosh
- Riverside-San Bernardino – Balraj More
- San Diego – Karen Jewel
- Southern California – Sowmya Chadrasekhar
- Washington – Claudia Hirschey
In addition to hearing updates from our Executive Committee, District Administrator, Committee Charis, and WesternITE, Advertising, and Website Managers, key items of discussion at the Mid-Year Board Meeting included:
- Review of chair appointments made at the Fall 2020 Executive Committee Kick-Off Meeting (Career Guidance – Jennylyn Tapat, Student Funding & Initiatives – Ashley Kim, and Technical – Pat Marnell).
- Review of previous fiscal year close out, which was in line with expectations. In fact, the student Endowment Fund has regained its target balance of $500,000 even after dividing funds with Mountain District!
- New Student Chapter Charters have been completed for conformance with International requirements and will be approved in the coming weeks.
I would like to thank Adam Allen, LeadershipITE Chair (International), who stopped by to speak about the latest updates to the program and how Western District can benefit from greater involvement.
Upcoming Annual Meetings are planned as follows:
- 2021 – Portland, OR (Joint Meeting with International and Mountain District)
- 2022 – Palm Springs, CA
- 2023 – Sacramento, CA (Tentative)
- 2024 – Visalia, CA (Tentative)
- 2025 – Long Beach, CA
- 2026 – Seattle, WA
- 2027 – San Diego, CA
- 2028 – TBD (Joint Meeting)
- 2029 – San Francisco Bay Area
At the moment, the 2021 ITE Joint International and Western & Mountain Districts Annual Meeting is planned to be in-person for July 18-21, 2021 in Portland, Oregon; however, public health recommendations are being monitored closely and we expect to know more by early April. Our 2023/2024 meeting locations are tentative pending the outcome of this year’s meeting. Stay tuned!
As a reminder, ITE Oregon Section began its Joint Sections Webinar Series on Diversity & Inclusion. If you missed the first session, there is still time to register for the remaining series which continues through April. Registration is free to ITE members – please visit the Western District webpage.
President, ITE Western District