Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones! I know the celebrations look different this year but I hope that you were able to spend time with your family and friends during this season.
A few items to look out for in the next couple of months:
- The Virtual Student Leadership Summit will be hosted by Cal Poly SLO January 15th-17th (https://sls2021cpslo.weebly.com/).
- Western District Secretary-Treasurer and International Director Candidates will be announced in February.
- The ITE International Award Program is live so please take a look and see if there are awards that you or your Section may qualify for.
- The District Chairs will also begin reaching out for District and International awards next month.
This will be my last President’s Message and I’d like to take the time to thank you all for giving me the opportunity to serve on the Western District Board for the past 4.5 years. It has been an incredible learning experience. Serving in leadership roles through a professional society teaches you so much about being good leaders and helps you become better professionals. I would encourage our companies and agencies to think more about the benefits for their staff volunteering with professional societies. For those individuals who would like to volunteer and have questions, including how to discuss it with their employer, we have some great folks on the board who can provide advice both as an employee and as the management team.
I would like to thank a few people for their support:
- I’d like to thank my colleagues in the Kittelson & Associates Southern California office, specifically Tim Erney, for their support of ITE. I would not have been able to run for Secretary-Treasurer without their help.
- I’d also like to thank the City of Anaheim for their support for my current and future commitments.
- Thank you to the Southern California Section for trusting me to lead the Section and for your continued support.
- A special thank you to my wonderful friends in ITE for encouraging me to run for office, it has been one of the best experiences and growing in friendship with you all over the past few years makes it even better. To Zaki, the ITE cheerleader that I met as a student, thank you for encouraging me to volunteer on the SoCal Board, thank you for always being there for those of us who choose to serve, and thank you for being an incredible example for us to follow. Thank you to Patty Camacho for getting me involved in the Career Guidance Chair position at the District. Thank you to Cathy for butting into that role as Student Endowment Fund Chair and helping us put some great events together for young professionals and students. Thank you to the Cathy and Mark show for coming before me and getting many things in order before I stepped into the big seat. And thank you for being there to answer questions and your continued guidance.
- I’d like to thank my fellow District Board members: Carlos, Cathy, Mark, Giancarlo, and Joe. And welcome our newest board member Kim. There is a lot that happens behind the scenes and we take on a lot of responsibilities. Thank you for volunteering your time, your families time, and I hope we continue to have such passionate people leading the Western District in the future.
- Thank to our District administrator, Dalene, for answering my many questions and for working through the charters and bylaws for our sections.
- I’d like to thank our committee chairs for working through this first year with different borders, budgets, and COVID-19.
- Thank you to the Hawaii LAC for putting on the first ever virtual Annual Meeting.
Thank you to the wonderful folks before us who helped make the District what it is and for continuing to support the District as it grows and evolves for the many generations of transportation professionals to come. It’s incredible to see what the District means to so many of us. I will plug volunteering with ITE again. I love our industry and the work I do and ITE adds another level of fulfillment in my career.
It feels a little bitter-sweet to be leaving this role but I am also really looking forward to the role of Past President and hopefully many other ways of serving in the future. Giancarlo, I wish you all the best and know you will do a great job! We, the many Past Presidents, are always here to help.