The joint Western/Texas Districts Annual Meeting promises to be a great learning and networking opportunity for all attendees. However, the conference events are only part of the attraction. Keystone and Summit County, with beautiful green grass dotted with wildflowers against snow-capped peaks, plus a huge variety of fun outdoor activities and adventures, cannot be beat for a family vacation spot. This is the ultimate Rocky Mountain playground for families and kids of all ages!
The Keystone Resort offers incredible amenities and fun activities – all accessible via a short walk or the resorts free and convenient shuttle (learn more under Meeting Transportation below), including:
- Scenic lift and gondola rides to the top of Keystone Mountain provide breathtaking panoramic views of the Continental Divide over the Rocky Mountains. The summit offers hiking trails, family-friendly games, and incredible dining.
- Enjoy the spirit of the Wild West with guided horseback riding, pony rides and scenic wagon rides.
- Keystone Lake & Adventure Center offers one-stop fun. Rent paddle boats, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, and bicycles. Relax at the beach or enjoy family-friendly beach games. Other resort kid-friendly activities include a bungee trampoline, a rock climbing wall, mini-golf, gem panning, bounce houses, and more. Adventure Packs can be purchased to enjoy all of Keystone’s kid activities.
- You can even snow-tube! Enjoy Colorado’s only summer tubing operation on real snow!
- Keystone has a signature Kidtopia program which features free activities like scavenger hunts, arts and crafts, beaver pond hikes, paddle boat rides, kids carnivals, plus roasting marshmallows and story-telling at the River Run fire-pit.
- Walk, jog or rent a mountain bike and ride old mining roads or the extensive trail system. There are easy village paths along the river or paved paths leading to adjacent mountain towns.
- Golf balls fly much further at 11,000 feet elevation, so book a tee time at Keystone Ranch or the Keystone River Course.
- For relaxation, take advantage of available spa treatments and facilities, relax in the resort pools and hot tubs, or retreat for bird watching, star gazing, and beautiful photography.
In addition, there are many scenic and fun locations close by within Summit County, all accessible via the free Summit Stage shuttle system (learn more under Meeting Transportation below):
- Nearby historic mountain towns, including Breckenridge, have much to offer for all ages. Stroll down Main Streets for varied shopping and restaurants, plus unique architecture.
- There are ample opportunities to get wet! Take a family float, white water rafting, or kayak trip down various rivers. Rent a sailboat or pontoon boat on Lake Dillon.
- Bring your fishing gear and fish gold medal streams or nearby Lake Dillon. Equipment can also be rented, and fishing licenses obtained from area merchants.
- The Breckenridge Summer Fun Park features activities for all ages, including the Alpine Roller Coaster, TenMile Flyer Zipline, gemstone panning, SuperPutt Mini Golf and Ripperoo’s Bounce Corral.
Sound like fun? We’ll see you in June! Don’t forget comfortable hiking shoes, sunscreen (high-altitude sun is powerful), a hat, UV protected sunglasses, light rain jacket (just in case), lip balm, bike gloves and helmet, bathing suit, golf clubs, and a lot of water! Oh, and oxygen will be standing by…
Keystone is approximately a 2-hour drive from Denver International Airport (DIA) under ideal driving conditions. However, traffic congestion can greatly affect travel time, particularly during summer vacation months. Renting a car is a viable option for many, but we encourage “green” non-SOV options.
Colorado Mountain Express is providing discounted Airport shuttles from DIA to Keystone for the conference. For about $56 per person each way, sit back and enjoy the scenery! There is a link on the conference website for this special rate. Carpooling is also a great option. With people arriving throughout several days, there is a section under “Hotel/Transportation” on the conference website where you can submit arrival and departure information. We will help match you up with other conference attendees!
The Keystone resort has a shuttle service within the resort properties, including the conference center, Keystone Lodge, Hyatt Hotel, Keystone stables and condos. Using the shuttle system is easy and convenient and the LAC will be working to ensure there are enough shuttles at key times during the meeting to get you to the tech sessions, meals and family night from your lodging and back. Many of the resort properties are within a short walk from the conference center. Go to the conference website for more information. Click here for map of the resort: https://itekeystone2018.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/keystone-area-map.jpg
Summit Stage offers free public bus service throughout Summit County, providing service between Keystone Resort and the mountain towns of Breckenridge, Frisco, Dillon and Silverthorne. You will find numerous activities for the whole family throughout Summit County (learn more in the previous section above).