By Carlos A. Ortiz, International Director
May 7 and 8, 2019
The ITE International Board of Direction (IBOD) met in New Haven, Connecticut for its Spring Board Meeting on May 7th and 8th. The meeting was held prior to the ITE Northeastern District Annual Meeting and provided us an opportunity to experience the technical sessions and activities at their conference.
Our IBOD meeting was very productive with multiple items covered on both days. On the first day, we covered the following items:
- ITE Survey Discussions – The IBOD spent the initial part of the meeting reviewing our recent survey objectives, results and strategic recommendations. Some of the key elements included:
- Improve the perception that “ITE is only for engineers”
- Provide information about how ITE has been continually improving
- Develop new products and services
- Develop a compensation survey
- Stay on top of “Hot Button” topics
- Budget and Finance Committee Report – We reviewed our current revenue and expenses and it was reported that we are on target to meet our 2019 budget. By the end of the year, we are expecting to be approximately $200,000 in the black.
- Industry Council Update – Our new Industry Council Chair Abbas Mohaddes provided an overview of their recent activities. Currently, seven companies have joined the council: Iteris, Eberly, HERE, Siemens, Transoft, PTV Group, and Econolite.
- 2019 ITE International Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas – We are planning to have over 200 speakers and over 1,000 attendees at our upcoming conference.
- Coordinating Council Update – ITE’s initiative on Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) has been presented at each District Annual Meeting with great audience participation.
On the second day, we discussed recent and upcoming OneITE activities, including the transition plans for our new Western District and Mountain District. A brief summary of our discussions on day two included:
- Membership Update – Currently, we are at 94% of budget for individuals and 87% for agency memberships. District, Section, and Chapter leadership needs to reach out to our industry and recruit new members.
- New International ITE Chapters – IBOD voted to approve charter and bylaws for the development of a Pakistan professional ITE Chapter. Also, IBOD approved the formation of a Student ITE Chapter at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
- New Western District and Mountain District – In 2018 a motion was approved by IBOD to add one or more Districts to ITE from the existing Western District. A transition plan was requested and in early 2019 Western District and Mountain District Task Forces were formed. A meeting was held in February with future leadership of what will become a new Mountain District.
Five actions have already been taken by IBOD to get to this point. In October 2018 a roadmap was laid out for the Task Force and a 250-page report was created composed from many discussions and significant member input. All of this information was also made available to the general membership. At this IBOD Meeting we went over the transition plans for both Districts.
- Western District: Both transition plans cite January 2020 as the time at which both Districts (Western and Mountain) will co-exist. Officer plans and the division of assets for the transition have been discussed and the funds will be distributed by the end of the calendar year 2019.
- Mountain District: For the transition with Mountain District, it has been requested that the Western District act as a keeper of the funds until January 1, 2020.
- There will be joint district meetings with Western in 2020 and 2021 and the Mountain District will start having its own annual District meetings in 2022.
A motion was approved to accept the transition plans submitted to the IBOD by the Western District Board and Mountain District Representatives. The IBOD took note of the agreement to split reserve and endowment funding and to continue joint District annual meetings through 2021.
A motion was approved to appoint Paul Barricklow as Mountain District President, Ben Waldman as Mountain District Vice President, and Devin Moore as Mountain District Secretary-Treasurer to serve as officers of the transition board effective immediately, with the same three officers serving as the first Mountain District board for the calendar year 2020.
A motion was approved to appoint Ms. Karen Aspelin to a three-year term as the Mountain District representative to the IBOD effective January 1, 2020.
A motion was approved to direct the ITE staff to work with the Western District and Mountain District Boards to prepare a unified transition plan and include key elements/milestones: new District Charters for IBOD approval at our upcoming July 2019 IBOD meeting; new District Bylaws for IBOD approval no later than the November 2019 IBOD meeting; operation of the Mountain District and “new” Western District Effective January 1, 2020.
d. Florida ITE District Transition to the Florida Puerto Rico District – A motion was approved to rename the Florida District as the Florida Puerto Rico District. Another motion was approved to give the Florida Puerto Rico District the authority to hold special elections and/or appoint Section representatives from chapters that will be elevated to Sections to have a fully operational District Board by January 1, 2021.
e. Midwestern Transition to the Great Lakes District – A motion passed to approve the new name for the Midwestern District as the Great Lakes District.
f. MOVITE Transition to the New Missouri Valley District – A motion passed to give the MOVITE Section Officers the authority to act on behalf of the new Missouri Valley District for the purposes of standing up the new District, including establishing a charter and bylaws.