Policies and Guidelines
1. Advisory Committee
The Advisory Committee should have no more than five (5) and no less than three (3) members. Committee members shall be appointed by the Western District President for staggered terms of two (2) years. Committee members may serve more than one term. The committee shall include the Immediate Past President of the Western District who shall serve as the committee chair for one (1) year starting at the mid-year board meeting after becoming Past President, and shall act as the committee liaison to the Western District Board while serving as committee chair.
2. Committee Chair Duties
The roles and responsibilities of each of the Western District committee chair positions are included in the following documents:
- ITE Western District Tax and Audit Consultant
- Advisory Committee Chair Roles
- Career Guidance Chairperson Guidelines
- ITE Western District Legislative Committee/Chair Duties
- List of Duties for the Membership Committee Chair Western District
- Public Relations Committee Chairperson Guidelines
- Richard T. Romer Student Endowment Fund Committee Chairperson Guidelines
- Student and Faculty Initiatives Committee (SFIC) Chairperson Guidelines
- Responsibility of the Western District Technical Chair
- Traffic Bowl Committee Chair Duties
- Vendor/Industry Committee Chair Roles and Responsibilities
- ITE Western District Webmaster Roles and Responsibilities
- WesternITE Advertising Manager List of Duties
- WesternITE Managing Editor Duties
Communication from the Western District shall be governed by the “ITE Western District Communications Plan.” (Adopted 2015)
4. District Administrator Selection
The Western District President shall nominate (whether by committee selection process for a recommendation or by direct selection) and the Western District Board of Directors shall approve the appointment of a District Administrator for a minimum initial term of five (5) years, with unlimited two-year renewals, to ensure continuity in the operation of the Western District
Western District elections shall be governed by the policies outlined in the “Election Policies for Officer and International Director Candidates.” (Adopted 2014) In addition, guidance for Western District candidates is provided in the “Candidate’s Guide for Elections.” (Adopted 2014)
6. Endowment Fund Committee
The Richard T. Romer Student Endowment Fund committee consists of four (4) primary members that include the Endowment Fund Committee Chairperson, District Administrator, District Secretary-Treasurer, and one of the three District International Directors. The Western District Board has adopted the following policies regarding the Richard T. Romer Student Endowment Fund as listed below:
- Western District Investment Policy (Adopted 2010)
- Richard T. Romer Student Endowment Fund Sustainability Policy (Adopted 2014)
7. Financial Reserves
The Western District should target financial reserves of at least 1.5 times the annual operating budget.
The District shall maintain two (2) insurance policies: 1) officer’s liability, and 2) general liability insurance. The District Administrator is tasked with the maintenance and review of these insurance policies on an annual basis.
9. International Vice President Campaign Funding
Financial support of International Vice President candidates from the Western District shall be governed by the “ITE International Vice President Candidate Campaign Funding Support Policy for Candidates from the Western District.” (Adopted 2014)
10. Lifetime Achievement Award Selection
The selection of a recipient of the Western District Lifetime Achievement Award shall be governed by the “Western District Lifetime Achievement Award Selection Process Guidelines.” (Adopted 2015)
11. Local Arrangements Committee (LAC) Manual
The Local Arrangements Committee (LAC) Manual provides guidance on the planning of a Western District Annual Meeting. The manual includes policies adopted by the District Board to encourage highest possible meeting quality, to comply with International ITE requirements, and to promote an appropriate level of Annual Meeting consistency. These policies are detailed in the “District Annual Meeting Policies.” (To be adopted in 2016)
12. Officer Duties
The roles and responsibilities of each of the Western District officer positions are included in the following documents:
- International Director Duties
- President Duties
- Vice President Duties
- Secretary-Treasurer Duties
- Past President Duties
- District Administrator Duties
There are several Western District positions that receive stipends on an annual basis. As of July 2015 these are:
- The webmaster shall receive a $2000 stipend per year.
- The WesternITE Managing Editor shall receive a $2000 stipend per year.
- The Advertising Manager shall receive a stipend each year that is dependent on the revenue collected from advertising during the fiscal year. The stipend amount shall not exceed 10 percent of the total revenue collected from the Professional Services Directory (PSD) and Positions Available (PA) listings, and sponsors.
- The District Administrator shall receive a stipend of $595 per year.
14. Student Chapter Faculty Advisor Vouchers
The Western District shall subsidize the International membership dues for Student Chapter Faculty Advisors who are ITE Members by issuing a $150 Western District voucher upon submission of an Annual Student Chapter Report. (Adopted 2002)
15. Travel Reimbursement
Reimbursement for travel on behalf of the District shall be governed by the policies outlined in the “ITE Western District Travel Reimbursement Policy.”
16. Wayne T. Van Wagoner Award
The winner of the Wayne T. Van Wagoner Award shall receive $200 at the Western District Annual Meeting. The annual award was endowed by the Van Wagoner family in honor of Wayne Van Wagoner in 1987. The endowment is currently managed by ITE International headquarters.
17. Website Committee
The Western District website committee consists of the Webmaster, the WesternITE Managing Editor, an International Director (normally the mid-term Director), a District Officer (normally the President) and two “at large” members. The District Officer will chair the Website Committee and be responsible for appointing the two “at large” members. The two “at large” members will be appointed for two-year terms.
18. Western District Dues
Western District membership dues are set by the Western District Board for two membership categories 1) Fellows, Members, and Institute Affiliates, and 2) Retired. The exceptions to these categories are as follows:
- Dues for Student Chapter Faculty Advisors who are ITE members shall be reduced to $0. (Adopted 2002)
- Dues for honorary members shall be reduced to $0. (Adopted 2003)
- Dues for student members shall be reduced to $0. (Adopted 2003)
- Dues for life members shall be reduced to $0. (Adopted 2003)
Of the dues collected on an annual basis, $2 per member shall be transferred to the Student Endowment Fund. (Clarified 2012)